Thursday, May 21, 2015

Former Teachers, Mr. and Mrs. Brown

My mom and I went to the store yesterday, and we ran into my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Brown, while we were shopping. She recognized my mom right away, and said hello to us. I'm not sure if she would've recognized me without my mom, since it's been over 20 years since I was her student and I'm now an adult (and disabled), but I definitely recognized her, since I think she looks exactly the same! I remember her reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to my class. I wonder if she remembers the time she busted me for writing my Christmas list when I was supposed to be doing something else?! :)

I asked her about her husband, who was also one of my teachers. She said he was shopping with her and was elsewhere in store. Mr. Brown, who was my College Prep English teacher when I was a senior, was one of my favorite teachers ever, so I was tempted to hunt him down, but I didn't want to seem like a crazy stalker, so I refrained and just told Mrs. Brown to tell Mr. Brown that I'd said hello.

About 15 minutes later, I thought I caught a glimpse of Mr. Brown, so I backtracked and sure enough, it was him. We talked for about a little while, reminisced about the old days and caught up with what's been going on with the Browns. Mr. Brown taught at Windsor High School (the school I went to) for 32 years and retired from Windsor in 2005. Then he taught College Prep English part-time at another local high school, and did that for an additional eight years. He retired from that school in 2013, after he'd been teaching for a combined total of 40 years. Wow! Imagine all of the students that he's impacted over the past 40 years...the number must be in the thousands! (He taught all of my sisters and me, except for my youngest sister, so six of us had him.) Mr. Brown said that the students he taught his first year of teaching  are now 60 years old! (Mr. Brown is 67, so he must've been around 25 when he started teaching.)

When we were talking, Mr. Brown said that he'd actually just gotten a phone call while he was out shopping from the school he taught at part-time after he left Windsor. They offered him the same position teaching College Prep English part-time again, so he said that he's thinking about doing it. He really was/is such a fantastic teacher, so any future students he might have would be very lucky, indeed! 

It just made my day running into the Browns! I asked them if we could take a picture together, and they obliged me. Here I am with my former teachers:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...