Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Celebrating the Fourth

This past Sunday was the Fourth of July, and it was such a nice, relaxing day! I started the day by going to church like I do every Sunday. Church was especially uplifting and I really enjoyed it. I asked my mom if she would make homemade waffles for dinner. We had fresh strawberries and blueberries as well as and some homemade whipped cream so that we could have "red, white and blue" waffles. My favorite way to have waffles is with peanut butter and syrup, but that has a lot of calories, so I settled on having one with peanut butter and syrup, and one with berries and cream. (Both were good, but the peanut butter waffle tasted far better than the one with fruit.... imagine that!)

My friend Nate joined us for dinner, which was fun since he is such a dear friend of our family. He actually came over for dinner on Saturday and Sunday, and on Saturday I was telling him that I really wanted to see some fireworks, but I didn't want to go to the hassle of going downtown to the St. Louis Arch because I didn't know where to go and how accessible it would be. It would've been really disappointing to go to the trouble of going downtown, but then not being able to actually get where I would need to go to actually enjoy the fireworks. And I wouldn't want to ruin anyone else's time, either. However, on Sunday Nate persuaded me to go see the fireworks in Arnold. (Arnold is a small town about 10 minutes away, so I decided to try it.) I actually would've been content to just sit outside, but I decided to be adventurous and do something a bit spontaneous.

My mom, Chandra, Nate and I went to Arnold and we saw the fireworks that the city of Arnold set off. The fireworks must've started earlier than they were supposed to, but we were still able to watch for about 10 minutes, and we actually saw some impressive ones (considering Arnold is a small town). On our way home we decided to pull over into a subdivision where we had a pretty good view of some other fireworks. It was fun, and I'm glad that I could celebrate by watching some fireworks.

Here are some pictures from the Fourth of July:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Heather! My name is Kristi and I found your blog through Nie's. I am so glad that you posted such a sweet comment to her with a link to your own blog. I have really enjoyed reading about your accident and have been quite moved by your honesty, but most of all your outlook on life. I am a mom of 4 and I sometimes get bogged down in the day-to-day routine of raising children. Your words have inspired me to appreciate my blessings even more. I have always thought of myself as an optimist, but you really take the cake! You are truly a breath of fresh air in this world. I pray that you are well and continue to be. I will definitely be checking in and reading your posts. Thanks for sharing your life in words and pictures!

Blessings to you,
Kristi Shaw

PS In 2005, I was in a head-on collision. My injuries were not even close to as bad as yours and I have fully recoverd. I have always enjoyed talking about the accident and how it changed my life, but at the same time I felt strange for wanting to share something that was so difficult. You have really helped me realize that it is good to talk about it. Thanks!

Eileen said...

Thank you for sharing your inspirational story Heather.
You have an exceptional attitude. We all can learn so much from you.

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...