Saturday, September 29, 2012

Double Standard

In this day and age there's definitely a double standard when it comes to what religions it's acceptable to mock or poke fun at, and other religions where if you do the same thing you're considered narrow-minded or intolerant. This really bothers me and it's not right. I admit, it kind of ruffles my feathers when different religions are mocked and made fun of. I don't care if the mockers are of a different religion or of no religion at all; it's not kind, even if they think what they're saying is funny.

A few days ago I read an article that expressed my thoughts in a much more concise, eloquent way than I'm capable of putting it. The article was called Muslims, Mormons and Liberals, and it talked about the Broadway play The Book of Mormon that's all the rage right now. I haven't seen it and I definitely don't recommend it since I know how derogatory/vulgar it is. The basic gist of the article asks the question why is it okay to mock the Mormon church, while at the same time making the point that if this play were as derogatory towards the Muslim religion, for example, people would be up in arms (and rightfully so, since it's not right to ridicule ANY religion.

There are many different religions in the world and I'm glad that I live in a country where we have the freedom to be whatever religion we choose. I just wish everyone followed the "golden rule!" The LDS church released this diplomatic statement in regards to the play, "The production may attempt to entertain audiences for an evening, but the Book of Mormon as a volume of scripture will change people's lives forever by bringing them closer to Christ."

*If you would like to know more about the real Book of Mormon or the Mormon religion in general, click here or here.

2 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...