Thursday, October 4, 2012

Turning 30 (for the Second Time)

My mom turned the big 6-0 this past Tuesday, although she referred to it as turning 30 for the second time and we've been having a wonderful time celebrating. My sister Sharon drove up from Mississippi last Friday with her three youngest kids so that she could spend a few days with us and be here for the birthday festivities.
On Monday we went out to lunch at Pizza Hut for my mom's birthday lunch. Pizza Hut might not sound very glamorous, especially for a 60th birthday, but that was my mom's request. So my sisters Sharon, Laura Chandra and I (and Sharon's and Laura's kids) took our mom out to lunch. My mom's friend, Paul, came along, too. We had such such a nice time.
On Tuesday we had a birthday dinner for my mom. She requested one of her favorite meals – roast beef, mashed potatoes and cooked carrots. My sister Sharon also made mom her traditional birthday cake. For as long as I can remember my mom has always had carrot cake for her birthday. It's not my favorite, but that's what mom wanted.
I thought it would be fun for all of my sisters and me to go in on a joint gift for my mom instead of all doing separate, smaller gifts. I knew my mom would like a KitchenAid mixer, so that's what we decided on. My mom really wasn't expecting a big gift, so she was surprised. I love surprising people! I love the surprised look on my mom's face! [You'll have to excuse the poor lighting. I don't like what the inside lightning does to my pictures. The light above my kitchen table is especially harsh on people's skin, but I figure mediocre pictures are better than no pictures.]
What a fun day… I'm so grateful to all the people who helped make my mom's birthday a special one!

6 comments:

Ronja from Germany said...

Happy Birthday to your mom! Or in german: Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag! She looks so amazing, really I would have never guessed her to be 60. What a fun day and nice surprise!

Rachael said...

Looks like a super fabulous birthday! Your Mum must have had such a great time.

Heather said...

LOVE the pictures!!! Especially the ones of your mom opening her gift and the lovable ones of you and your sister Sharon!!!

Unknown said...

YOU'RE SUCH AN INSPIRATION.

Julie said...

Happy Belated 60th Birthday to your Mum:)

I love the pix, especially the one of your Mum opening her pressie.

I also love how your little niece sucks 2 of her fingers a lot. The look on her face when all the candles are lit is lovely:)

By the way, the Kitchen Aid looks brill & I love the colour:)


Julie said...

Happy belated birthday to your beautiful mom! You have the loveliest family. The warmth you feel for each other is so apparent in every picture. Thank you for sharing the celebration with us.

Julie

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...