Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Happy anniversary to me!

Today is the sixth anniversary of my car accident. I definitely don't look at this day as a day of sadness. I look at it as a day of celebration. I celebrate because I'm alive, especially considering that I should have died in my accident. I celebrate because I'm healthy, especially for someone who is as disabled as I am. I celebrate because I'm happythe happiest I've ever been.

I definitely consider November 17 to be my "second birthday." I survived on the day that I nearly died. Not only did I survive, but I feel like I've triumphed in the face of adversity. Physically speaking, my car accident was the worst thing that's ever happened to me, but spiritually, mentally and emotionally it's been the best thing to ever happen to me. I truly mean that. I feel like I'm such a better person than I used to be. I have better priorities, more empathy and compassion towards others, and a better perspective on life. For these reasons I can honestly say that I would never take back my accident if given the choice. The things I've gained far outweigh the things I've lost.

I love talking about my accident and my experiences. I love it when people ask me questions, although, usually people don't feel comfortable asking. That's why I've enjoyed talking about myself on my blog so I can answer some FAQs. It's a way I can share things about myself with people, without them having to feel uncomfortable asking. If you're ever curious about me and my life, please ask!

2 comments:

Jen@Because I can said...

Wow, you are one amazing person! I'm lucky to know you!

Tyler Erickson said...

I love reading your blog! Keep posting!

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...