Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Lucky #7

November 17 is a very special day for me because it is the anniversary of my car accident. I can't believe it's already been seven years! In some ways it seems like just yesterday that I was a normal person, but then again so much has happened since my accident, so it seems like a long time too. Isn't it weird how something in your life can seem so recent and so far away at the same time? When I think back to what life was like when I first came home to live a few months after my accident I remember how difficult things were for my mom and me. It was quite a mental and emotional adjustment as we both learned what life was going to entail for the rest of our days. However, even though things were difficult and still occasionally are, we've both adjusted well and we can honestly say that we really enjoy our lives.

November 17 is also the anniversary of when I got my diaphragm pacer. I'm still unable to breathe on my own, but now that I have my diaphragm pacer I don't have to be tied to a ventilator anymore. I've had my pacer for four years now, which is longer than I was on a ventilator (three years). This has been such a blessing in my life! It's definitely not a cure for paralysis or anything like that, but not being dependent on a big ventilator to breathe for me is so wonderful!

Although my life is very physically challenging, I still maintain that I would never take back my accident if given the choice because I've gained so much more than I've lost. I know who I am, I know where I'm going and I'm full of joy in the meantime. Life really is good! There are so many able-bodied people that can't honestly admit this, so I feel blessed to be so happy.

Some people think it's weird that I celebrate the day that my life changed so tragically, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It's just another excuse to eat good food and have fun! I celebrated my day by having a special dinner. I requested chicken Caesar salad with garlic cheddar biscuits and triple chocolate mousse cakes for dessert. My sister Kristin kindly obliged my desires and made my dream dinner become a reality. (Thank you, Kristin!) I didn't do anything special other than my dinner, but that was enough since I was surrounded by my loved ones. I'm having a special get-together with my friends this weekend, so I look forward to celebrating with them.

It's so good to be alive!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...