Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pearl Harbor: 70 Years Later

Yesterday was the 70th anniversary of  the attacks on Pearl Harbor. I might not have been alive when Pearl Harbor was attacked, but I WAS alive on 9|11. I was 17 years old and a senior in high school, so I was old enough to understand what was going on and I remember it well. My high school English teacher, Mr. Brown, really put the magnitude of what had happened that morning into a context that I could understand when he likened it to Pearl Harbor. What had happened was so fresh that I hadn't been able to think of it in those terms.

Now that 10 years has come and gone since that day, I realize my teacher was very accurate with his statement because 9|11 IS today's "Pearl Harbor." I think about my nieces and nephews (most of whom weren't even born yet) and how they will never know a world pre-9|11. The world is definitely a more dangerous/cautious place than it was before the 9|11 attacks.

When my mom and I were watching the news coverage about Pearl Harbor and how that was a different era, she asked me if I think they'll make a big deal about the 70th anniversary of 9|11 when it rolls around in 2071. I told her that I assumed that they will (if the world hasn't come to an end by then!). I also found myself wondering what other major attacks will have have transpired in the world by that time, because the world is only becoming a more wicked and scary place!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...