Sunday, December 4, 2011

Setting the Mood

Last night was the Christmas devotional that my church puts on each year. For as long as I can remember this devotional has always taken place on the first Sunday in December (in the evening). The devotional is held in Salt Lake City, Utah, (where the headquarters of my church is located) but it's also broadcast throughout the world and can be viewed in our different church buildings, or can even be watched at home on the TV or over the internet. (Isn't modern technology amazing?!)

This year's devotional was amazing, just as it is every year. It never disappoints! It's always the perfect way to kick off the Christmas season and it always fills me with the Christmas spirit. In this day and age the commercialization of Christmas is something that unfortunately happens all too often as the true meaning of Christmas gets swallowed up in secular traditions* and holiday chaos. Of course this isn't always the case, but I know from my own personal experience that it IS easy to get "sucked in" to the commercial side of Christmas since it's so prevalent in our society. That's why I personally have to make a conscious effort to remind myself to pause and reflect on what the true meaning of Christmas it is – celebrating the birth of our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. I'll write more about this tomorrow since it's really late.

*Please don't think that I find anything wrong with secular Christmas traditions, because I definitely don't! I love partaking in presents, shopping, partying, making AND consuming Christmas goodies, Santa, etc., as much as your Average Joe, but I DO try to strike a definite/deliberate balance between my secular/religious festivities.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...