Monday, October 4, 2010

Happy birthday, Mom!

My mom celebrated another birthday this past weekend. Her official birthday was Saturday, but we (three of my sisters and I) started the celebration early by taking my mom out for lunch on Thursday. Surprisingly, my mom wanted to go to Pizza Hut, so that's where we went. It's always great to eat in the actual restaurant because the pizza is super fresh.

On Friday we had a special birthday dinner for my mom -- a spinach salad with craisins, feta cheese and candied nuts. I'm usually not a huge salad fan, but this is one that I actually really love eating for dinner. My sister Kristin also made some white chocolate craisin scones which were amazing! Scones are something that I'd never had until my sister came here earlier this summer and made them. I have to say that they are so yummy and I always love having them for dinner! My sister also made my mom's birthday cake. Ever since I was a little girl my mom has always had the same thing for her birthday treat -- carrot cake. Although I don't like carrot cake and never really have, I decided to have a small piece anyway since my sister made it into a three layer cake. It's not my favorite, but it was very visually pleasing, so that's why I gave in and had some!

On my mom's actual birthday we had stuffed game hens for dinner. (The stuffing was wild rice with craisins, water chestnuts, celery, onions, etc.) I was a bit suspicious of this meal, but it was actually really good. The game hens were so cute, and surprisingly moist!

This weekend also happened to be the semiannual General Conference for my church which meant that my family and I watched the conference at home both days via the internet. We felt it was an excuse to have some more yummy food! On Saturday my sister made cinnamon rolls and orange rolls filled with a cream cheese and orange marmalade filling. I don't really care for cinnamon rolls, but the orange rolls were amazing! On Sunday my sister made glazed cheese croissants, which were equally amazing! She also made some soft gingersnap cookies with a pumpkin, cream cheese and powdered sugar dip to go with them. The cookies were amazing, as well. I'm so glad that I have Kristin living with me because she is always around to make such yummy treats!

More pictures from mom's birthday:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...