Friday, September 2, 2011

Be Prepared

Whether it's an earthquake, a tsunami, a tornado, or a wildfire, it seems like natural disasters are on the rise. It's not IF a disaster will occur, but WHEN. With that in mind, it's really important to be prepared for the storms and disasters that wil inevitably occur.

In my family we are doing our best to be prepared by having a storage of food and water that we could survive off of for a while, we also have 72-hour kits that are relatively accessible and easy to grab in case we have to leave home without much notice, we also keep a stash of other things around that become necessities in the case of an emergency like batteries, flashlights candles, etc.. Like I said, it's not IF a disaster will happen, but WHEN, so we try to prepare as best we can by having a plan.

Earlier this week we took a major step in being prepared by getting a generator. I'm so excited because now I don't have to worry quite so much about what we'll do if/when the electricity goes out. The generator will power everything in the house except the clothes dryer, the air-conditioning and the range/oven. The generator runs on gasoline and has a 6½ gallon tank. Each tank of gasoline will power the generator for approximately 8 to 10 hours, depending on how many things are running off of the generator.

It'll be nice to have the generator to power my special bed, and other things around the house like the refrigerator, toaster oven, and furnace if it's cold or fan if it's hot. It's crazy how much we depend on electricity, and we don't fully realize it until the power is out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...