Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering September 11

Since this is the eighth anniversary of the terrorist attacks on Tuesday, September 11, 2001, I thought I would write about my memories of that day.

It was about nine o'clock, and I was in my second period class, Spanish IV. I was taking a test when another teacher came into the classroom and told my teacher that there had been some sort of terrorist attack on the East Coast. All of the details were sketchy at this point, but as the day unfolded, more and more details began circulating around the school. I volunteered in the counselor's office for my fourth period class and I remember watching the media coverage on the TV. It was startling to actually see the destruction and to witness the devastation and hysteria of the people. I remember my English teacher, Mr. Brown, telling my class that the attack that had occurred that morning would rival the attack by the Japanese on Pearl Harbor. That put things into a bit of a perspective, and that was a sobering realization.

I had to work at the movie theater that evening, and I was surprised that there were actually people coming to the movies! However, we did have a record-setting low attendance at my movie theater. (I think only 29 people attended our theater that day.)

It's really hard to believe that it's been eight years already! It's surreal to see the Twin Towers when I watch movies or TV shows that have been filmed before 2001. For me, there's no way that you can see the New York skyline pre-2001 without vividly remembering that day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...