Friday, March 30, 2012

Washington and Lincoln

I just finished reading two books that I really enjoyed; Being George Washington by Glenn Beck and Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly. Both of these books are nonfiction and I really liked learning more about President Washington and President Lincoln since I've long forgotten many of the details I learned about them when I was in school.
Being George Washington is all about Washington's political and personal life. The book touched on lots of the major things that Washington was a part of (like the crossing of the Delaware and the winter at Valley Forge), and most importantly the qualities and characteristics that  Washington possessed that made him such a remarkable person. At the end of the book Glenn Beck talks about Washington's best qualities like civility, loyalty, honesty and humility. He said that we all have the opportunity to "be George Washington" if we choose to live by the same code of conduct that Washington did.

Killing Lincoln is about the assassination conspiracy to kill Abraham Lincoln. The book chronologizes the last two weeks of Lincoln's life, Lincoln's assassination in Ford's Theatre, the hunt for and capture of John Wilkes Booth, what happened to Lincoln's wife/family, etc. This book was actually really exciting, as far as nonfiction goes. I learned a lot from both of these books, and I would recommend them to anyone who wants to brush up on their knowledge of two really inspiring men.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...