Monday, August 3, 2009

To blog or not to blog?!

I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog for several months, and I've finally decided to do it. A couple of my sisters and friends have been encouraging me to start a blog, and that is how my initial interest in blogging got started. My two main hesitations have been 1) that blogs are out there for everyone to read, and I'm pretty self-conscious about the way that I write, so the idea that just anyone can read my postings is pretty intimidating!

2) I'm already very busy with various projects. I keep a personal journal that I write in frequently. I decided to start keeping a journal in January 2007 as part of a New Years resolution. I faithfully kept my resolution that year by writing a page or two every week, and I've continued my journal ever since.

Some other projects that keep me busy are that I recently wrote my grandfather's life story. This was a major undertaking and a daunting task, but now that I have finished it, I'm so glad that I decided to do it! It was a very fulfilling project, and it was nice to be able to take advantage of the fact that my grandpa is still alive. After I finished writing the text, I compiled a photo book of my grandpa's life on Shutterfly. It turned out so well and it was a great way to incorporate the pictures I had so as to illustrate his life.

Now that I'm done with that project, I am compiling other photo books of my ancestors, my parents, my immediate family and my life. These books are all in various stages of completion, but I love making these photo books to document my life.

Well, I guess I'm officially committed to this new project/undertaking! I look forward to having my own blog and to recieving comments and feedback from anyone who might read it.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I believe everyone should blog to share their story with others. You never know who needs to read your story to find inspiration, help, hope, information, etc. And your story has reminded me to find joy in everything I do, no matter the circumstance. Thank you so much for sharing your amazing story. You're a strong, strong soul and a truly positive force in this world.

Lauren H. in San Jose, CA said...

Hi Heather,
Just wanted to write and thank you for all of your posts (I've gotten through most of the bottom 3 columns tonight). I saw your comment on 71Toes and am an Occupational Therapist (work in general acute care & SNF settings, no patients with "fresh" SCI) and am always wanting to learn more about SCI and different patients' lives, mentalities and rehab experiences. Your mentality is amazing to me and your writing is very easy to understand and relate to (you're a great writer). I am not Mormon, but can sense your strong faith through your words and the kindness of those in your ward. I went to Girls' Camp with my Mormon friend as a teen...such fun times! Anyways, I'm so sorry you had such a horrible experience in the PCU :( that broke my heart. You painted such a vivid picture of the whole "locked in" syndrome. I'm glad you had a fun/decent OT in acute rehab though :) I added you to my blog roll and look forward to hearing more about your life and seeing your cute family!

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...