Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Leap Day!


Happy Leap Day! In case you need a reminder, here are a few facts about WHY it's necessary to have an extra day every four years.

  • It takes roughly 365 days for Earth to make its journey around the Sun. I say roughly because it actually takes 365.2422 days. If we started disregarding the .2422 days our calendar would get out of whack and we would eventually be celebrating Christmas in the middle of summer.
  • The concept of leap year dates back to Julius Caesar and the ancient Roman Empire when he commissioned scientists to create the Julian calendar in 46 BC.
  • We add an extra day every year that is divisible by 4.

    As I wrote about back here there is an Irish custom were it's acceptable for women to propose to men. (I'd forgotten about that, but after I wrote that post several people reminded me about the romantic comedy Leap Year starring Amy Adams, and it quickly came back to me since I do remember seeing that movie.) I didn't do any proposing this year, but you can be sure I will next leap year (if the man I'm in love with is still single, that is ;) ), as I hope to be married by leap year in 2020! After all, life is too short to waste your life wishing for your dreams to come true, so sometimes you need to give your future a little "jumpstart."
    Happy leaping, everyone, especially for all of you unique people with Leap Day birthdays!

    1 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Heather,

    Did you know if a baby is born on leap day the Dr. will have the parents either pick the day before or after for the birth certificate? Useless trivia just in case we find ourselves on Jeopardy! We made the toffee crunch pie and it was amazing! I used powdered sugar instead of granulated for less grit and used 6 ounces of cream cheese... I love your blog....keep writing!

    Kathy

    Post a Comment

    I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

    If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...