Monday, February 13, 2012

You and Me Against the World

Ever since I was a little girl, my mom and I have always called each other "best friends." It's a good thing we like each other so well, especially now that we're in the situation that we are, because we spent A LOT of time together! Not only is Mom my mother, but she's also my main caregiver. (Boy, life would be a lot more rough if we didn't get along so well!)

Something I say to my mom on a regular basis in a half joking/half serious way is, "Mom, it's you and me against the world!" I mean, I'm going to be paralyzed for the rest of my life, so I'm in this trial for the long haul. And it's not just my trial; it's my mom's trial, too, since she is the one that cares for me. (Unless she decides to commit me; but I'm pretty sure she won't!) ;) Sure, we've had different friends and family members that have helped with my care over the past eight years since my accident, but when it comes down to it, the only person I know that will always be there for me is my mom. I know that she will keep caring for me as long as she is physically able.

Yesterday morning was another one of those times that I sighed and told my mom that it's us against the world. She said, "Isn't that a song?" I said that if it was, it wasn't one that I was familiar with. So my mom got on the computer to look for the song. She found it right away and read the lyrics to me. (Of course she started crying but I wouldn't expect anything less out of my mom because it doesn't take much to make her cry!)

I thought the words of the song were so sweet, so I thought I would write this post and share the lyrics/song with you.
You and me against the world
Sometimes it seems like you and me against the world
When all the others turn their backs and walked away
You can count on me to stay

Remember when the circus came to town
How you were frightened by the clown
Wasn't it nice to be around someone that you knew
Someone who was big and strong and looking out for

You and me against the world
Sometimes it seems like you and me against the world
And for all the times we've cried I always felt that
God was on our side.

And when one of us is gone
And one of us is left to carry on
Then remembering will have to do
Our memories alone will get us through
Think about the days of me and you
Of you and me against the world

4 comments:

jamie @ [kreyv] said...

What a great song! You two are both so amazing!

Anonymous said...

You are both so blessed to have each other♥

ionamin-W8FW8 said...

I guess I'm showing my age to know that was a song! :) I feel blessed that it's you and me against the world!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have a parent like yours. I couldn't rely on my mother at the best times.

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...