Thursday, February 23, 2012

"Heroes for My Son"

A few months ago I heard about a book while watching the morning news that I thought sounded interesting, so I decided to check it out. It's a book called Heroes for My Son  written by best-selling author Brad Meltzer. When Brad Meltzer's first son was born he started compiling a list of heroes whose virtues and talents he wanted to share with his son. The list Brad compiled grew to include 52 different people; ordinary people who did/have done extraordinary things. People like Mr. Rogers, Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan, George H.W. Bush, Rosa Parks, Albert Einstein, Lou Gehrig, Abraham Lincoln, Steven Spielberg, Thomas Jefferson, Amelia Earhart, Jim Henson, Oprah Winfrey and many more.

This is a short book with just a few pages about each hero, but it's a very inspiring and interesting at the same time. I learned a lot of new things about people I already know so much about. I think this factual and inspiring book would make a great gift.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have three sons-what a great idea! I checked out your list of blogs and noticed that lil blue boo wasn't on the list. http://www.lilblueboo.com/ Here is the link-hope you don't mind. It's about all things crafty by a cool young mom with cancer...talk about an amazing attitude. She inspires me-just as you do. Anyhow, her mantra is "choose joy" which sounds familiar. :)
-Kathy in Colorado

*Elizabeth* said...

Sounds like a good book. I have a book called the Hero Project
http://books.google.com/books?id=cqwB7kDGIBEC&dq=yo+yo+ma+naturalised+citizen
It is similar in that there were 2 teen boys who intereviewed their heros. Yo-yo Ma, Jackie Chan, Jimmy Carter, etc. Anyway - I learned a lot about the different people. I should let you borrow it.

Anonymous said...

It's great that this author picked so many well-known people, but a lot of them have powerful PR teams who craft the image of whatever it is they project. Not saying that's a bad thing at all, or to take away from legit accomplishments and positive social influence, but any time a celebrity makes a "hero" list ... I don't really buy into it.

YOU, however, are real. And the things you share are real and admirable. Your attitude and example are inspiring. You are a true hero in my book. :)

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...