Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day! I know I've mentioned several times on my blog that I hate spring, but that's not totally accurate. I like spring, it's the transition between winter and spring that I hate. That being said, now that the temperatures have warmed up and the grass has greened up and the flowers have started blooming, I'm perfectly happy. 

When I was in fourth grade we were given trees (flowering dogwoods) in the month of April for Arbor Day. I brought mine home from school and my dad planted it in the backyard. That was 17 years ago and I'm happy to say that it's still alive! Even though it's been 17 years, it's still not all that big since dogwoods tend to be relatively small, slow growing trees. (I love my tree, although I wish it were a pink dogwood, because I think those are even prettier!) Here are some pictures of it:


My two younger sisters were also given Arbor Day trees when they were in fourth grade that were planted in my yard.  Laura got a pin oak tree that unfortunately did not thrive and ended up dying. Too bad. I wonder what it would look like today had it survived. Chandra got a bald cypress and it's huge – taller than our house! Cypress trees are much faster growing than dogwood trees, so her tree is at least twice as tall as mine, even though it's several years younger. 

1 comments:

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I love Dogwood Trees, so beautiful. The photos are gorgeous

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...