Thursday, April 21, 2011

It's a family thing

My friend Elizabeth recently came over for a visit and I asked her about her birthday. (She turned 28 at the end of March). One of the many things she told me was that her sister bought her the movie Oscar. I told her I'd never heard of that movie before so she told me that it is one of her favorites because it has a lot of good memories attached to it since she and her sisters watched it a lot growing up and still to this day quote lines from the movie.

I decided to get Oscar from Netflix since Elizabeth spoke so highly of it . It was so funny and I found myself laughing out loud several times. Oscar is a Sylvester Stallone movie from 1991. Here's Netflix's synopsis of the movie: 
"Big-time gangster Snaps Provolone (Sylvester Stallone) promises his dying father, Eduardo (Kirk Douglas), that he'll go straight. Easier said than done, as Snaps encounters far too many setbacks in this comedy from director John Landis. There's a little black bag mix-up, a daughter who changes fiancés three times and a continuously revolving door of thugs. The all-star cast includes Tim Curry, Marisa Tomei, Chazz Palminteri and Don Ameche"


Like I said, it was really funny and it reminded me of another movie that I watched not too long ago called What's Up, Doc? A 1972 film starring Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal. 

Anyway, I could totally relate to what Elizabeth said about having strong emotional attachments to a movie because of the fond memories of watching that movie over and over with your family growing up. I can think of several movies that I watched with my sisters when I was a kid that we would quote to each other. Here are the ones that spring to mind:

#1) Sister Act
#2) Father of the Bride
#3) The Princess Bride
#4) Big Business*
#5) Willow
#6) 9 to 5*
#7) Kindergarten Cop
#8) Beaches*

*Just for the record, the movies with the * by them were ones that we had taped off TV, so they were edited  versions of the real movie. I actually saw an unedited version of 9 to 5 recently as I was flipping channels, and I was surprised at all of the innuendos that were in it for a PG-13 movie. That wasn't the version I remember watching as a kid. Just clarifying because I don't want anyone to think my parents let us watch anything too inappropriate! They were actually pretty strict when it came to what we were allowed to watch.)

Even now when my family gets together we still reminisce about the things we remember watching and doing as kids. It's lots of fun!

1 comments:

Kate said...

Princess Bride and What's up Doc? are my family's favorites too!

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...