Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chore finished!

In 2007 I wrote my personal history, which is basically my life's story. It starts when I was born, and since I don't have my own memories from that time I used a journal that my mom kept for me where she wrote about my progress, funny stories, what I was like and other things about me. That journal proved to be very useful so that I could use it to document the first few years of my life. Then I started incorporating my own memories as I grew older. If someone reads my personal history they could learn all they wanted to know about Heather, which is exactly why I wrote it.

Several years ago I wanted to know more about my grandpa and if he had written a personal history, then I would've been able to find out who he was and what he's experienced in his life. Fortunately, he's still alive so I took advantage of this and I wrote his life story for him. I didn't just do this for myself, but also for the rest of my family so that they can know grandpa as well. He's 89 years old and has had such an interesting life. I'm glad I know him so much better after writing his life story.

Here's another example of why I think it's important to keep a personal history. My dad wrote his personal history, and when I read it a few years ago I learned so many interesting things about him, and it was fun to hear him talk about his life in his own words. I especially treasure it since Dad's dead, and I don't have the convenience of being able to talk to him.

I don't have any children of my own, but I do have lots of nieces and nephews, and one day they might want to know more about my life in greater detail. That's one of the reasons I wrote my personal history, and why I'm so passionate about journaling, blogging and documenting my life.

Here's where the chore completion comes in: I update my personal history each year and I write a detailed synopsis of what has happened in my life and in my family's life that year, as well as major world events and things like that. I hate writing the update and I definitely look at doing it as a chore, but I rather do it each year then to have a decade's worth of stuff or more to catch up on at one time. I finished my update this afternoon, complete five pages of pictures. Whew! Finished for another year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You inspire me Heather! You honestly do.

Love,

Your Utah Friend

Loretta Valenta said...

That is so great! I wish that I could be so dedicated to doing what you do. Maygbe one of these days it will be more than just a wish!

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback on my posts, so please leave me a comment!

If you have a question, feel free to email me at heather_i_johnson@yahoo.com so that I can respond to you directly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...